This accessibility statement applies to the Barking & Dagenham College website.
This website is run by Barking & Dagenham College. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. This means that you should be able to:
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
Every page throughout the website includes smaller and larger text size options. The website uses only relative font sizes, compatible with the user-specified ‘text size’ option in visual browsers.
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible is this website - we know some part of this website are not fully accessible:
- you cannot modify the line height or spacing of text
- some areas of the website feature complex data which is pulled in from external resources (such as course information and labour market information systems)
- most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- signed documents that have been scanned and uploaded may contain elements that are inaccessible to screen readers
- older video streams do not have captions
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- call: 020 8090 3020
We’ll consider your request and get back to you within two days.
If you cannot view the map on our ‘contact us’ page, call or email us for directions.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: email@example.com
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Our offices have audio induction loops, or if you contact us before your visit we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Barking & Dagenham College is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
- WCAG 1.1.1 Non-text content - most images used on the website now have alternative text, and staff are trained to add alternative text when uploading images. However, it is possible that not all images have alternative text
- WCAG 1.3.1 Info and Relationships - some tables in PDF documents may not be marked up in a way that aids use of assistive technologies. Some hard copy documents have been signed, scanned and uploaded
It's not possible to operate the site without pulling some elements related to our product offer through from our back-office third party system.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
- We will complete accessibility checks of this site on an annual basis. The next scheduled check will take place on 23 May 2024
- We will undertake a rolling review of non-text content and update with alternative text where missing
- We are providing training to staff involved in uploading images to the website to ensure images are tagged with alternative text
- New PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards
- New videos will be captioned
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 23 May 2023. This website was last tested on 23 May 2023. The test was carried out by Barking & Dagenham College on a sample of pages including the home page, career page, course finder and contact page.