Want to put your learning into practice and finish your course with the skills, knowledge and expertise that employers are looking for?
Then choosing a course requiring an industry placement could be for you.
These work placements are ongoing throughout your course and continue to run outside of term-time. Over the course of a year you’ll spend a minimum of 45 days or 315 hours with an employer.
Industry placements are available on the following Level 3 pathways: Construction & Site Management; Health & Social Care; Games, Design & Animation; Media; Engineering; Motor Vehicle; Fitness, Sports & Health; Public services or Business, Enterprise & Secretarial, Beauty Therapy & Media Makeup.
You are required to find your own placement, but help is available from BDC’s Industry Placement Officers should you need some support to find a suitable placement.
Industry placements teach you the technical skills and expertise you’ll need to specialise in your chosen field. They’re also designed to develop skills that help you collaborate with others.
As well as the benefits described from doing work experience, industry placements give you:
- Enhanced technical skills, allowing you to develop specialisms
- Deeper employability skills such collaboration, enterprise and interpersonal skills
- Real knowledge of running a business or department
- A feel for the commercial aspects of business
- A clear idea of your strengths, weaknesses and areas for focus
- Further confidence from deeper involvement in project work
- Longer-term experience and detailed knowledge for your CV
- More chance for making contacts, growing your network and getting recommended for employment elsewhere
- A good chance of getting further work with the employer!
For further information about industry placements and how they help you achieve your career goals, contact us and ask for details of our Industry Placement Officers.