Special Educational Needs (SEN) can affect children and young people in different ways; it can affect their reading and writing, their behaviour and concentration, their ability to understand things, or even their physical ability.
The Certificate in the Principles of Special Educational Needs online course is aimed at professionals working in education or carrying out a caring role in a nursery setting, as a teaching assistant, within childcare or play work, and are looking to develop knowledge and understanding of Special Educational Needs.
With modules on the development of children and young people, professional practice of SEN services, language and communication needs, the qualification aids teachers and assistants to understand how to support children and young people with a range of disabilities to achieve their full learning potential.
The core learning areas on this course will cover:
- Development of children and young people
- Professional practice in special educational needs service
- How to support children and young people to achieve learning potential
- How to support children and young people with speech, language and communication needs
- How to support disabled children and young people and those with specific requirements
You will be assessed through the completion of a portfolio of evidence.
For our Level 3 online courses, you will be eligible to study for free if you do not hold any qualifications above a Level 2.
Not sure if this applies to you? Check your qualifications online.
On successful completion of this course, you could progress into full time employment, in areas such as:
- SEN Teaching Assistant
- Children and Families Support Worker
- Learning Mentor
With further study, you may be interested in careers in:
- SEN or Mainstream Teacher
- Early Years Tutor