This course will enable you to select the most appropriate solar system for a building, based on a client’s needs. You’ll also learn how to install and maintain any of the common systems in the UK, safely and efficiently.
This is a short course, making it ideal for adults who are upskilling for work. Progression onto a wide range of other short courses after completion is also available.
The core learning areas on this course will cover:
- Introduction to solar heating
- Service and maintenance
- Solar collectors
- Hot water storage and key installation issues
- Preparing to install a solar water heating system
- Fitting solar collectors
- Plumbing layout and design of solar water heating systems
- Control and power requirements
- System commissioning and handover to client
This course will be assessed through a mix of practical assessments to demonstrate understanding, as well as through the completion of assignments and a multiple-choice examination.
You should have a minimum of the following:
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Plumbing or equivalent earlier certification
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Heating and Ventilating (Domestic Installation) or equivalent earlier certification
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Heating and Ventilating (Industrial and Commercial Installation) or equivalent earlier certification
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Oil-Fired Technical Services or equivalent earlier certification
- N/SVQ Level 2/3 in Gas Installation and Maintenance or equivalent earlier certification
- A minimum of 3 years’ demonstrable relevant experience
AND if not included in the above qualification:
- Water Regulations/Water Byelaws
- Unvented Domestic Hot Water Storage Systems