This course, new for 2021, has been designed with employers to give you the ideal start to a career in the construction industry as a plumbing and heating specialist.
Equivalent to 3 A Levels, this course is underpinned by the legal and regulatory frameworks for the construction sector and will help you develop the competencies and understanding of construction and built environment.
As with all T Level courses, you'll spend 80% of your tome learning in our industry-standard facilities, and 20% gaining valuable work experience on a relevant industry placement.
You will develop a general understanding of construction, including:
- Health and safety
- Construction science principles
- Construction design principles
- Construction and the built environment industry
- Sustainability principles
- Measurement principles
- Building technology principles
- Information and data principles
- Relationship management in construction
- Digital technology in construction
- Construction commercial/business principles
- Building Services Engineering (BSE) systems
- Maintenance principles
- Tool, equipment and materials
You will then undertake key studies in plumbing and heating to enable you to specialise on these services in the construction industry, including health and safety, systems and component inspections, reporting and working with faults.
Students will undertake two assignments (one for plumbing systems and one for heating systems) under a combination of supervised and non-supervised conditions. You will also complete an employer-led project.
Students who pass all the elements of their T-Level will receive a nationally recognised certificate showing the overall grade achieved and will include the following.
- An overall pass grade for the T Level, shown as pass, merit or distinction
- A separate grade for the occupational specialism, shown as pass, merit or distinction
- A separate grade for the core component, using A* to E
- Grades for maths and English qualifications
- Details of the industry placement
To study on this course you'll need to have 5 GCSEs at grade 4 - 9 (C) or above including Maths, English Language and Science. Successful interview and initial assessment, and a good school reference, are also required.
You'll learn from members of staff who are not only qualified to teach the relevant subject areas and modules, but have real relevant industrial experience. This means you'll have access to the technical expertise and professional practice needed to learn the skills employers will look for when you enter the workplace.
Learning and teaching methods will differ between modules, but all teaching will be delivered in our industry standard facilities. Enhanced construction visualisation will also be provided through our BIM lab and VR studio.
Learning doesn't just take place in the classroom. Interactive resources will be available on Google Classroom, the college's online learning system.
You will be expected to attend lectures, maintaining excellent attendance and punctuality, use independent self-study skills and complete the industry placement in a professional manner.
There are different pathways which are available to you following the successful completion of your T Level Technical Qualification in Building Services Engineering for Construction
Options to consider include:
- Applying to university - Your T Level will be worth UCAS points – A ‘T Level Distinction*’ is worth the same as 3 A levels at A* – and will be recognised by universities and other education providers so you can choose to continue studying if you wish.
- Level 4 HNC Electrical & Electronic Control Engineering which is recognised by industry employers and professional organisations
- Opportunities to specialise with an Apprenticeship.