Details of how the college protects and keeps private the personal data you share with us
How we use your personal information
We are the data controller of personal information about you. We are: Barking & Dagenham College. Our address is: Dagenham Road, Romford, Essex. RM7 0XU.
Our Data Protection Officer is Victoria Eastwood. If you have any questions about this policy or the ways in which we use your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer at the above address, via email.
This privacy notice has been prepared in accordance with the UK General Data Protection Regulations (UK GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
Please click on the relevant link below for privacy notices relevant to individuals:
In each case, you have certain rights, including how to get a copy of your data, how to get it corrected or deleted, and how to complain. These rights are set out in more detail below.
Please note that on occasions we may process ‘special categories’ of information about you. This is information revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation.
You have a number of rights over your personal information:
- The right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you are unhappy about the way your personal data is being used – please refer to the ICO’s website for further information about this (https://ico.org.uk/)
- The right to ask us what personal information about you we are holding and to have access to a copy of your personal information
- The right to ask us to correct any errors in your personal information
- The right, in certain circumstances such as where our use of your personal information is based on your consent and we have no other legal basis to use your personal information, to ask us to delete your personal information
- The right, in certain circumstances such as where we no longer need your personal information, to request that we restrict the use that we are making of your personal information
- The right, in certain circumstances, to ask us to review and explain our legitimate interests to you
- The right, where our use of your personal information is carried out for the purposes of an agreement with us and is carried out by automated means, to ask us to provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly-used, machine-readable format
How we monitor your use of the College’s IT
- We keep an eye on how you use the College’s equipment and computers and what websites you go on when you are browsing the internet at College. This is because we have legal obligations to protect you, and we also have a legitimate interest in making sure you are using our computer equipment correctly and that you are not looking at any inappropriate content.
- If you want to browse the internet privately, you will need to use your own devices which are not linked to the College’s network or internet connection.
- Users should be aware that their usage of IT facilities for Internet and email will be monitored and, in some cases, recorded in line with the Human Rights Act 1988, Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001, General Data Protection Regulation 2018, Regulations of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 and the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) Interception of Communications Regulations October 2000, Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006, Equality Act 2010, Keeping Children Safe in Education Guidance 2016 and the Prevent Duty (section 26) within the Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015.
- Monitoring and recording is carried out automatically through system logs. These logs are archived and retained for up to three years.
We keep our GDPR policies under regular review and will update them from time to time to make sure they remain up-to-date and accurate.
You can view our current policies by clicking on the links below.
Data Breach Notification Policy & Procedure
Data Rights of Individuals policy