Broadway, Barking, UK
1:00pm on Thursday 14th October 2021
In celebration of Black History Month, BDC has curated a fantastic event in partnership with Love Music Hate Racism and the Adult College of Barking and Dagenham.
Date: Thursday 14 October
Venue: The Broadway Theatre, Barking, IG11 7LS
Afternoon session: 1pm – 5pm
Evening Session: 6:30pm – 9pm
Join artists, musicians and influential speakers for an afternoon and evening of panel discussions, artwork and performances to celebrate black history. Hear about the history of African music, artistry and traditions, with a focus on how these continue to influence contemporary culture and society today.
Our own students will be performing so come along and show them support!
- 12:30pm: Doors open, registration
- 1pm: Welcome
- 1:15pm - 1.35pm: First generation of the revolution - L3, Y2 BDC Performing Arts students
- 1.40pm - 2pm: Black History Through The Decades - L3, Y1 BDC Performing Arts students
- 2.05 - 2.30pm: MOBO 'The Best of' - BDC Music Students
- 2:30 - 3:30: Panel Discussion to be hosted by Weyman Bennet (LMHR) featuring Yvonne Kelly, Sir Hillary Beckles, Vice chancellor of the University of the West Indies
- 3:45 - 5pm: DJ Smokey Joe discussion about the history of Notting Hill Carnival and an interactive DJ Set
- 6.30pm - Doors Open
- 7-8pm Mohammed Gueye Drum Ensemble playing music with an interactive discussion on traditional Senegalese music
- 8-9pm Performance by Love Music Hate Racism Collective featuring Lady Sanity, Lloyd Luther and Consensus
Book your place
Book your place for the afternoon session.
Book your place for the evening session.